Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Why people are always late for lunch: situation / analysis / learnings

Before I begin, I must say that I'm guilty of making the unfashionably late entrance from time to time.

Situation:
This is how it all begins. You arrive at a lunch spot on time and you're the only one there. . . You're asking yourself, "WTF, why am I the only one here?" "is this some kind of joke?" Then you habitually go on to fidget with your phone, hoping, just hoping that someone has sent you a random text message. Anyways, no one likes being the lone wolf, it sucks BADLY. Almost as bad as someone responding maybe, yes, I hope my sentiment resonates with YOU people out there.

Analysis:
Then it becomes a viscous cycle of tardiness. Next lunch meeting, you intentionally leave a few minutes later just to avoid the awkward "I'm the only one here at this 6 person table how do I make myself look busy" moment. Meeting times get later and later, 10 mins late.... 15 mins....30 mins wtf???

Learnings:
This is why I've made it a practice to leave for lunch only after one of your other lunch mates sign off or go away/idle on IM. Only then can you be certain that others will arrive when you do. I'm almost embarrassed to even point out what could be common knowledge on best practices for leaving to lunch. But it must be known to one and everyone, similar to how guys should NEVER use emoticons.

/end random rant of shamelessness

5 comments:

  1. i rather be the tardy person than be the bday girl who says "who the F### are you?" haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude, you've done almost 2 hours before, but you let us know..and that's the key: if you know you're going to be late, let those expecting you know so they can schedule their time accordingly..

    ..this in no way makes me not guilty of the times i've been late

    ReplyDelete
  3. o, just to point out to H's loyal readers: i'm not the shameful individual in this instance who caused him to write this. i hope

    ReplyDelete
  4. For people like the ones you are talking about (I assume you have specifics in mind), I usually tell them a time that's 15mins to half an hour before I actually get there. Of course, there is the chance that there will be the one time they actually get there in time, but in my opinion, it just allows them to have a taste of their own medicine. P.S., get the sudoku app -- you will always look busy.

    ReplyDelete